Re: Hottest TechCom Topics Today (#246563)

Subject: Re: Hottest TechCom Topics Today (#246563)
From: mmarkley -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:35:12 MST

Hi Tim,

Judging by the threads on TECHWR-L for past several months,
I'd say the hottest topics would be:

1. Ebonics
2. Typos in resumes
3. Frame vs. Word (ad nauseum)
4. Why technical communicators can't
get any respect in the workplace (sniff)

But seriously...
I think "visual literacy" is a hot topic. Graphical techniques
for information delivery are becoming more accessible and less
expensive (like streamed video on the web or desktop video
production), and readers'/users' attention spans seem to be
getting shorter. As a result, a shift toward _less text_ and
_more graphics_ is underway in many areas of documentation.
We need to monitor this communication front, and prepare
ourselves for this shift.

I'd be interested to see the fruit of your brainstorming
sessions too. Could you share that with us, Tim? Thanks.

Mike Markley
Technical Writer
mmarkley -at- micron -dot- com