Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 4 Mar 1997 to 5 Mar 1997

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 4 Mar 1997 to 5 Mar 1997
From: Russ Shade <rshade -at- FAST -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 00:55:02 -0500

Mitch Berg made some comments about Doc-To-Help to the effect that he does
not agree with the philosophy of using the printed docs in an online help
package.

I tend to agree with the philosophy statement. What Mitch failed to
mention (he did say it had been a few years), is that it is quite simple to
designate which portions of the printed doc are to go into the online
package, which are to appear only in the doc, and which are to appear in
both.

I don't believe any of the other packages that he gave kudos to demonstrate
that capability.

My experience with Robo-Help (admittedly limited) was that I spent more
time fiddling around with the "settings" than I did writing the content.
While Robo-Help is, indeed, robust, it lacks features that are quite simple
to use in Doc-To-Help. With Doc-To-Help I get outstanding looking printed
docs as well as excellent quality online help. That opinion, incidently,
was echoed by the companies I recently approached during a work search.

As far as the comments by others about "breaking," I did not experience a
single crash with Doc-To-Help in 2-1/2 years... and that included working
with both versions 1.6 and 2.0. Sometimes cars crash because the drivers
can't drive.

Russ Shade
rshade -at- ast -dot- net