Re: Getting the programmers to come to you

Subject: Re: Getting the programmers to come to you
From: Debbie Molinaro <debbiem -at- J51 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:19:47 -0500

> > Is anyone else on the list bewildered by the fact that so many of us
> > suggest that we actually BRIBE programmers to do what should be
part
> > of their job and give us the info we need to document the
software?

I am not bewildered. It is one of many ways to get the job done.

Here's the deal...the programmers are paid to write code and we are paid to
write manuals. Of course, we both are paid to do other duties as assigned.
When review time comes, if the programmer's deadline slipped, his/her
review is adversely affected. If the programmer says, "but I was helping
the docs department..." the programmer's boss is not going to be
sympathetic. Trust me.

As for the comment about Dilbert-style management and placing the blame
squarely where it belongs...if the manual sucks or is incomplete, NOBODY
but the docs department will think it's the programmer's fault. And it
really sounds whiney and unprofessional to even bring it up.

Our job is more like investigative journalism than anything else. I can't
imagine Linda Ellerbee complaining to her producer, "But the Senator
wouldn't give me a comment." So I say, resort to the bribes. We are not
talking about immoral activites here...we're talking Twinkies!

Debbie

Debbie Molinaro
Manager, Technical Publications
Materials Research Corporation, Semiconductor group
debbiem -at- j51 -dot- com