Re: slamming

Subject: Re: slamming
From: Debbie Molis <dmolis -at- MLJ -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:52:13 -0500

Bill,

I don't think what you wrote was necessarily abrasive. I do, however, feel
that an answer in response to Steven's request for information on resources
was demeaning and unnecessary. When I read it, I was taken aback.

I've been reading this list's comments for months and months. But this is
the first time I am posting to the list, in part because I've been afraid of
being WRONG. There is a tendency for some to at least be inconsiderate. In
fact, I was slammed on this list for something I said in private and which
the person posting to the list apparently misunderstood.

Enough is enough! The list has already had this discussion about not
attacking people not too long ago.

The real issue:

If so many emails are abrasive and offensive to others, unintentionally or
not, we really need to consider how our professional work is interpreted by
readers. Are we demeaning/insulting to them, do we talk over their heads?
If we cannot communicate effectively among ourselves, how can we communicate
effectively to our intended audience?

We are above all communicators, and as such should know better than to use
language that is offensive to those who read our personal and professional
material.

That being said, now that I've taken the plunge, I will continue to
contribute to the list, regardless of the risks of being slammed. I believe
that most people on the list who regularly have something to contribute are
not abrasive, and it is worth a few abrasive comments to become more
knowledgeable about what I do.

Debbie Molis
Technical Writer
dmolis -at- mlj -dot- com