Re: Creativity or Humor

Subject: Re: Creativity or Humor
From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 20:07:50 -0600

This whole discussion of creativity within technical writing, and especially
the touchy subject of humor in technical writing, is fascinating to me. I
agree with those who stress that the needs of the audience you're writing
for dictate the style you use. A novice and possibly timid audience can use
a little humor to ease their fear; a more seasoned audience usually wants
just the facts.

Nearly a decade ago, I was working on a manual that included a glossary of
terms. The programming staff insisted on the following definition for
"infinite loop": See Infinite Loop.

I really don't remember the reaction of management during the review of that
one.

Barry House
The Creative House--Helping Businesses Communicate
301 Oak St.
Quincy, IL 62301
217-222-9800
217-222-9844 Fax