Re: Home Alone

Subject: Re: Home Alone
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:22:56 GMT

>Someone else thought the portable phone unnecessary, but I find it very
>handy when I'm dialled-in to the office server on my home office line,
>and need to talk to someone about what I'm seeing on the screen.
I have two phone lines and two-line phones (about $60 from AT&T)
next to the computers. The second line is my fax/modem line.

There's been a few times when a portable would be nice, but I haven't
been able to justify the potential cost yet. (Pay phones are still
only 25 cents a call, and most of my clients have phones that are
convenient and OK to use.)

>> You should strive to have a setup that's equivalent to the work
>> setup -- and learn how to be a system admin for it, whatever it is.
This is probably the most difficult aspect of working at home or for
yourself. It's also a problem for me when I hire - it's nice if the
person I hire has some system admin skills so I don't have the burden
of two systems to keep track of, but many writers don't.

Barb