Re: Small Business wants to grow

Subject: Re: Small Business wants to grow
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 17:47:30 GMT

Based on the responses I've received so far, I'd like to add a few
comments to my previous post.

1. I'm in Cleveland, OH, and provide technical writing services.

2. It would be difficult to telecommute because most of the work I get
is for large industrial equipment.

3. My reasons for not wanting to go with a subcontractor are:
a. The ones I've found in this area that are good are already
getting plenty of contracts at their full rates.
b. I've had bad experiences with the contractors I have hired.
That doesn't completely close them out, but I'm extra
cautious.
c. I like the continuity of an employee. When I go on vacation,
she's kept track of the phones, checked the mail, taken care
of clients and so on. A contractor could certainly do all of
these things, but it's a little easier when it's part of the
job.
d. A contractor can get pulled away on a big project of their own.
From my own experience as a subcontractor, it's hard to pass
up your own $40/hour work to continue working for $25/hour for
someone else.

4. Am I dreaming to think someone would want to work for me for
flexibility but few benefits? What in a job ad would tell you
that's what's happening?

Thanks for your help!

Barb