Re: Small Business wants to grow

Subject: Re: Small Business wants to grow
From: "Cramer, Kim" <kcramer -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 07:31:00 -0700

Barb Philbrick said:
<snip>
Am I dreaming to think someone would want to work for me for
flexibility but few benefits? What in a job ad would tell you
that's what's happening?
<snip>
My first "official" tech writing job was just such a situation as you
are offering. I was the second employee and the primary interface with
our customers. This was because our main contract was with a company
that was also the regular employer of my company's owner (he was
originally a silent partner in the business who had to assume control
due to the death of the other partner).

The job was wonderful with the same flexibility you offer - I set my own
hours, sometimes worked at home, took time off (paid as I was salaried -
I made up for during crunch time!) if the workload was slow - the
benefits of being a self-employed contractor, but with a regular
paycheck!

As a two-person company, he also didn't have the financial clout to get
decent health insurance rates. What he did was pay me an hourly
"premium" on top of my salary so that I could purchase my own insurance
(which I used to buy into my husband's insurance). If I remember
correctly, it was around $1.25/hr. Perhaps something like this would
make your position more attractive to prospective employees.

So don't give up - you're offering someone a wonderful opportunity!