Exponents before superscripting

Subject: Exponents before superscripting
From: Robbie Rupel <robbie -at- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:45:24 -0600

Greetings!

I have an unusual question. Back in the "old" days when typewriters
ruled, how were superscripts represented?

Scenario: We need to include inverse units on an index. The denominator
contains a superscript (integer exponent to be exact). The application
can not handle superscripts or subscripts, so we need to find another
way. (FYI, the interface will be changed, but not in time for this
release.)

The following have been suggested (and have been argued against) so far:

1/cm**4
1/cm^4

All of the references on my desk assume access to superscripting
capabilities. Any suggestions or leads to a definitive answer would be
appreciated. Thanks, and have a good weekend!

--
Robbie Rupel
Lead Technical Writer

"Pardon me for saying so, but knowing what something isn't
doesn't exactly tell us what something is...." -Eeyore