Re: Exponents before superscripting

Subject: Re: Exponents before superscripting
From: ahreed <ahreed -at- MAIL -dot- IAMERICA -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:26:38 -0500

Robbie Rupel wrote:

> Scenario: We need to include inverse units on an index. The denominator
> contains a superscript (integer exponent to be exact). The application
> can not handle superscripts or subscripts, so we need to find another
> way. (FYI, the interface will be changed, but not in time for this
> release.)
>
> The following have been suggested (and have been argued against) so far:
>
> 1/cm**4
> 1/cm^4

In mathematical contexts, a caret implies a superscript and an
underscore
implies a subscript. Though it's not elegant, it's understood.

Examples: x^4
n_3

The same convention is used in mathematical typesetting packages (e.g.,
LaTeX).

Use of ** is particularly troublesome, since * generally implies
multiplication.

Regards,

Gay Reed
ahreed -at- mail -dot- iamerica -dot- net