Re: The size of a programming manual

Subject: Re: The size of a programming manual
From: gloria <gmedcalf -at- PRAIRIE -dot- LAKES -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:41:57 -0600

>1) I notice that almost all manuals for development tools are 7x9"
>perfect bound. This looks sharp, but you can't lie it flat without
>breaking the spine, and you can't flip it over. Can you tell me
>why most companies ship perfect bound manuals instead of
>spiral-bound?

Another alternative might be lay-flat binding. It will lay flatter than
perfect bound although not as flat as spiral and it won't flip over. The
Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop manuals I have are done this way. You might
check some of the manuals you have, or ask a printer for an example. It's
hard to explain, but the spine is not glued to the pages, instead a more
flexible piece of something is attached to the pages and the cover (with
spine) is glued to the first and last pages. I don't know how the cost
compares.

good luck with your deadline

gloria
gmedcalf -at- prairie -dot- lakes -dot- com