Re: Paper for a technical proposal

Subject: Re: Paper for a technical proposal
From: "Robin M. Allen" <robin -dot- m -dot- allen -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:34:34 -0500

Alethea Otero wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I am currently editing a $3.5 million proposal for counter terrorism
> research. The document is approximately 60 pages including graphs (task
> & org. charts) and colored graphics. We are preparing this for
> the Office of Special Technologies (government agency) in Maryland. After
> reading the proposal, they will then submit it to the Defense Special
> Weapons Agency (DSWA) in Washington, DC. Instead of using the plain
> white paper that's in our printer, we would like to print it on something
> nicer (heavier weight, different color, etc.). We don't know if the
> people receiving the proposal are going to "bean count" or actually be
> impressed by the fancy paper, graphs, etc. but we would like to be
> prepared. We are also trying to make our documents look more professional.
> Any suggestions on paper weight and color considering our audience?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alethea Otero
> Student Technical Editor
> Energetic Materials Research and Testing Center
>
> My account at aotero -at- cramer -dot- nmt -dot- edu is temporarily out of order. Please
> email me at aotero -at- nmt -dot- edu -dot- Thanks!

Alethea:

I have responded to RFPs for years and it's like submiting a resume.
Your best bet is a professional presentation on plain white paper. Fancy
paper and a creative presentation is distracting -- it looks like you're
trying to divert their attention from the information. Color
charts/graphs are okay. The fact that this is a response to a government
RFP is all the more reason to respond on plain white bond.

Good Luck: Robin Allen
robin -dot- m -dot- allen -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net