Re: Paper for a technical proposal

Subject: Re: Paper for a technical proposal
From: "Williams, Diane (contractor)" <Williams_Diane -at- DOTE -dot- OSD -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:18:13 -0400

>>Aletha Otero wrote: the document is approximately 60 pages including graphs
(task
& org. charts) and colored graphics. We are preparing this for
the Office of Special Technologies (government agency) in Maryland.
After
reading the proposal, they will then submit it to the Defense Special
Weapons Agency (DSWA) in Washington, DC. Instead of using the plain
white paper that's in our printer, we would like to print it on
something
nicer (heavier weight, different color, etc.).<<

>Marilyn O'Leary replied: don't waste your proposal on fancy paper. ... If you
must, do only the cover in a heavier weight. This is a proposal, and
the content is most important. Devote your extras to a really good
abstract and introduction that will make the defense dept. read the
whole thing carefully.<

Absolutely do NOT waste money on fancier or heavier production materials
for this document!

However, do be sure to churn out a really good executive summary,
because that is all that's likely to be read by the majority of
perusers! Make sure you cross-reference like crazy so folks can easily
spot tables and charts, which--like pictures--can equal 1000 words! A
good contents page and index, I think, are critical.