Managing the documentation process (Database)

Subject: Managing the documentation process (Database)
From: Tom Tomasovic <Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- NA -dot- NWMARKETS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:17:32 +0100

I am currently responsible for the production and
maintenance of a library of policies and
procedures documents. The library consists of
approximately 20,000 pp. in 80+ volumes.

These documents change on an erratic basis
determined by a variety of factors. They are not
tied to any specific product, so there is no
revision cycle (e.g., a software upgrade
schedule).

In order to monitor the process, I have developed
a database application (Paradox). Basically, the
application allows me to enter data every time an
amendment is initiated and track its progress
(drafts, reviews, etc.) to completion. It also
provides me a history of what my department does,
and is also useful in producing management reports
(indicating what is outstanding, for how long,
etc.). Niceties include the (incomplete) process
of generating specific assignments for staff
members, ticklers, etc., and also a library
circulation module.

Questions:

- Do others among you have similar
requirements?
- How do you manage them?
- Are there other tools (programs?) which you
feel would do this more efficiently?

(Since my database programming skills are
rudimentary, the application is "rustic" at best.
I am considering bringing in a consultant to help
me get it "up-to-snuff", but I don't want to waste
time or money on something which should be
replaced. BTW, my Technology department no longer
"supports" Paradox, so they would like me to use
MS Access or Lotus Notes.)

Always grateful for your incredible wealth of
knowledge.

Regards,

Tom <<Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- na -dot- nwmarkets -dot- com>>

My words. My thoughts. NatWest has their own.