Re: Is PageMaker Growing in Popularity?

Subject: Re: Is PageMaker Growing in Popularity?
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- AIRMAIL -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 12:59:26 +600

On 12 Apr 97 at 15:55, Bruce Byfield wrote:

> I seem to be hearing more and more references to PageMaker being
> used for documentation. Does anybody else have the same impression?

If anything, I'd say the opposite. It used to be one of the only
games in town for dtp, but now the other tools have the capabilities
needed by technical writers.

> And, if you have used PageMaker, what kinds of projects have you
> used it on? Would you agree with the distinction that FrameMaker is
> for long documents with few different page layouts, while PageMaker
> is for documents in which page layout varies?

PageMaker is still my choice for quick reference cards, newsletters,
brochures, or other design-intensive projects of about 6 pages or
less. I don't enjoy (understatement) dealing with tables, indexes,
styles, and table of contents in PM.

It will be interesting to see how other techwr-l members feel.

Jane Bergen
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
janeb -at- airmail -dot- net or janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com