Javascript in documentation

Subject: Javascript in documentation
From: John Trollope <John_Trollope -at- WATSONWYATT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:33:25 -0400

Hello fellow technical writers!

I was previously a member of this list while a translator for Team 17 Sofware.
I now work for Watson Wyatt as a technical writer in IT support.

In about two months, we are going to phase out our documentation in Windows help
format and go for HTML.

I'm in a very lucky position as I will have no compatibility problems as all our
users on our Intranet will have either Netscape 3 or Netscape 4. As our team
wants to take full advantage of HTML documentation, we have decided to explore
how we can use Javascripting to our (and our end user's) benefit.

The most useful script I have seen is a pull-down menu where the user can select
the page they (intentional subject switch) want to read. This avoids having to
have a long list of links.

Other scripts which may be useful are:
- opening a new window with a button that closes this window (for
mimicking the popup feature of Winhelp
- messages in the status window
- changing one image with another with the onMouseover (for "highlighting"
an image)
copyright, contact information on every page)

Do you have any other ideas? I'm particularly interested in anything which makes
life easier for the users.

If you need any of these scripts, I would be happy to send them to you. I would
have posted them to the list.

Glad to be back on this list,
John
John_Trollope -at- watsonwyatt -dot- co -dot- uk

P.s. If anyone has a script for client-side image maps, I would eternally be in
your debt if you sent me a copy).