Compatibility - Ventura 4.2 and Windows 95/Windows NT

Subject: Compatibility - Ventura 4.2 and Windows 95/Windows NT
From: Estella Clifford <cliff -at- FP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 12:13:00 -0400

Hi, all,

I have been lurking on the list for about two months. It's been educational.
It's also great to find that there is such an active TW community, and
people willing to share their thoughts and expertise. Now I find I'm in
need of some specific input myself.

I've seen several references on the list recently to Ventura Publisher 4.2,
and would like to hear from anyone who is using it with Windows NT (version3.51 or 4.0) or Windows 95.
In your experience, is it stable in these environments? Are there any
"gotchas" that you've found?

The background is this:

I create user documentation for distributed control system software, hardware,
and related optional software packages. Since 1989, I have been using Ventura Publisher in various incarnations (VP 2.0 and VP 3.0 DOS/GEM on a Novel system,
then Corel VP 4.2 under Windows for Workgroups). The 4.2 version does
everything I need, and is trusty and reliable in my current environment.

Now, I am faced with having my PC upgraded to Windows 95 or Windows NT. This
will be an improvement in some respects, but I don't want to lose VP 4.2.
(I tried VP 5.0, and was quickly disenchanted.) I know VP 7.0 is available,
but have not had the opportunity to try it, and have also heard some negative
things about it.

I have a ton of work to do, and not a lot of time to deal with either a
serious learning curve or fractious DTP software.

I would very much appreciate hearing your comments, advice, experiences, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Estella Clifford

despite what it may say in the header!)