Re: What do you call it when

Subject: Re: What do you call it when
From: Guy Haas <ghaas -at- NETSCAPE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:43:32 -0700

At 01:01 PM 4/22/97 GMT+7, Michael Hassett wrote:
>I'm not sure what you call it, but I think that one of the reasons
>for doing so is to trademark a word. In fact, I think I remember
>that from an earlier discussion on this list. You can't trademark
>the words "quick view" because they are in common use. But, when you
>hook them together and put in the odd capitalization, you have a
>trademark: QuickView. Now, I'm no lawyer, I'm just repeating what I
>remember reading along the way, so I won't attempt to support this
>perspective in any respectable forum (and please don't quote me in
>one).

MY memory is that capitalization is not part of the trademark.

And I looked to see whether cAmElCaPs was part of "Hungarian notation"
(a scheme whereby the elements of variable names clue the reader as to
the intent/form/role of the program element (such as its data type),
but apparently the embedded cApiTalS predate Professor Simonyi's scheme.

--g

Guy K. Haas Software Exegete ghaas -at- netscape -dot- com
M/S MV-050 415-937-3773
Netscape Communications Corporation
501 Middlefield
Mountain View, CA 94043
My opinions are mine--Netscape's are their own.