Document Management Tools

Subject: Document Management Tools
From: Tammy Hale <tammyh -at- FGM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:23:25 -0400

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember my query to the list last year about document
management. My company never did come up with a system, and as we continue
to grow we're realizing we can't hold off much longer.

Last time around I received a lot of good information on doc mgt. in
general. However, I'm still not an authority in the area so I would like to
get your input on the tool recommendation that I'm about the make to my
company.

I've looked at PC Docs Open, OPTIX, and the developer CM tool called
SourceSafe. OPTIX is not at all what we need, and PC Docs Open (what a
weird name!) doesn't seem to do anything more than SourceSafe, which my
company already uses for software development. I'm planning on recommending
that we use SourceSafe as our doc mgt. tool.

What do you think? In the archives I found a posting from Laura Storey that
she "abstained from integrating [her] docs into [SourceSafe] databases."
Laura, if you're still around, I'd be interested in your reasoning.

Thanks!

Tammy Hale