Re: JOB POSTING: Technical Marketing Writer

Subject: Re: JOB POSTING: Technical Marketing Writer
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- AIRMAIL -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:15:47 +600

On 23 Apr 97 at 15:35, Stephen Forrest wrote:

> I could really take off on this piece of writing, but I sense this
> is not the right forum for it. Since I don't want to slam anyone,
> nor do I want to be flamed, I will merely say that I am really
> offended by it.
>
> In the interest of being constructive I'll throw this out for
> consideration: what does it mean to be a top performer in the
> context of technical writing?

> > If you are a top performer in commercial software development,
> > systems integration or supply chain management, Numetrix wants you
> > to be part of our high growth company.

Huh? Did I miss something? What in the world is offensive about "top
performer"? In a tech writer, I'd expect it to mean someone who can
take a project and hit the ground running. That means someone who can
write well and work independently. It also means someone who doesn't
just pretty up documents but who actually PRODUCES.... in other
words, performs his or her duties uncommonly well. I'd hope that
there would be several such candidates on the TECHWR-L list, so the
job posting seemed perfectly appropriate here.

Numetrix sounds a lot like a really "hot" start-up company and a good
place to work if you want to get in on the ground floor. Believe me,
start-ups are not for everyone, though. If you like a lot of
structure, but don't like a lot of change, then you would hate a
company like this. If you like an 8 to 5 kind of job, you would also
probably hate this kind of environment.

DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about Numetrix. I know no one who works
for Numetrix. But I LIKED the job posting!

Jane Bergen
"my opinions are my own..."
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
janeb -at- airmail -dot- net