A contracting season?

Subject: A contracting season?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:57:12 -0400

Subject:
A contracting season?
Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM> wrote:

>Dave Brinegar mentions (twice) the "Spring contract >techwriter's season" Is this a real phenomenon? If so, why? >Does it exist across the board or just in some geographical >areas or some industries? What constitutes "spring"--February >to June?

I think the phenomenon depends on when the financial year end occurs in
your part of the world. I suspect that companies eager to use up one
year's budget, or who have just received the new budget for the year,
are likeliest to hire any sort of employee.

Recently, in BC, companies have been switching their financial year end
from April to January. This change caught me my surprise. The
conventional local wisdom is that there are no jobs in January, and I
was braced for a hard winter as a contractor. Instead, I got my present
position, and a few projects on the side. Even more delightful, I was in
the position of having to turn down three or four jobs for the first
time. After several months of unemployment, that feel good, believe me.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer

"My enemies were certain I was starving,
It must have given them a fearful shock
Through the binoculars to see me carving
A roast of beef up on the barren rock.
And when I moved upon them down a byway,
Bathed and anointed, sweet with oil of rose,
They blanched, for they had left me on the highway
Covered with blood and with a broken nose.
The landlord, in the arbour where I'm seated,
Has brimmed the bowl with wine, the bubbles wink.
It's time my gasping enemies were treated,
Do tell them to come in and have a drink.
And any day they like they may appear;
Thanks to the landlord, I'll be living here."
--Roy Daniells