Re: What kind of docs do you do?

Subject: Re: What kind of docs do you do?
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 12:55:43 -0400

At 08:54 AM 4/29/97 -0400, Beverley Henderson <n6k -at- COSMAIL4 -dot- CTD -dot- ORNL -dot- GOV> wrote:
>Most of my tech writing and editing experience has been in environmental
>reporting. Most of what I see talked about online is computer software
>documentation. I'd like to hear feedback from people in other areas of TW as
>well...what you do...how you got into it...and where the work is.

I write the occasional software manual, but most of my writing is not
directly computer-related.

My biggest client right now is a process controls engineering firm; for them
I write large engineering project reports (800-1000 pages, and yes, Word is
my wp of choice!), proposals, two software manuals, and project design
specifications. I've also produced a style guide for them.

For other clients, I've written refinery operating and safety manuals,
startup and shutdown procedures, equipment specifications, processing unit
design specifications, proposals, requests for proposals, training and
presentation materials, recruiting information packages, and more project
reports.

My background? I have a BSc in chemical engineering, but I much prefer
writing to detailed engineering. I also prefer being self-employed. I live
near Toronto, Ontario right now, which has a pretty active TW market for
everything from aerospace to software development to manufacturing. Other
hot spots in Canada include Winnipeg, Manitoba (aerospace) and Calgary,
Alberta (oil and gas, banking, high-tech).

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor
Email: winday -at- idirect -dot- com