Re: RFC1983 (Was E-mail or e-mail)

Subject: Re: RFC1983 (Was E-mail or e-mail)
From: Guy Haas <ghaas -at- NETSCAPE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:12:19 -0700

At 11:57 AM 4/30/97 -0700, Parks, Beverly wrote:
>all, do we say xray or x-ray? Tshirt or t-shirt? <<
>
>T-shirt, U-joint, U-turn, A-frame, O-ring, E-mail, S-curve. Can anybody
>tell me which of these words doesn't belong? If you answered E-mail (or
>e-mail), you're right! Why? Because the thing being talked about (mail)
>isn't shaped like the preceding letter (E). X-ray, I admit, is an
>exception. Although most dictionaries allow the spelling without the
>>hyphen: x ray.

X ray or x-ray is an exception.

But of course,
a C-section produces a scar shaped like a C,
a G-man is shaped like a G,
and an H-bomb is shaped like an H,
and the x-axis is shaped like an x.....

[While two negatives cancel one another to make a positive,
two positives never cancel one another to make a negative.]

Yeah, right. ;-)

-g-

Guy K. Haas Software Exegete ghaas -at- netscape -dot- com
M/S MV-050 415-937-3773
Netscape Communications Corporation
501 Middlefield
Mountain View, CA 94043
My opinions are mine--Netscape's are their own.