Re: COBOL Translations?

Subject: Re: COBOL Translations?
From: Kenneth Gatlin <g2soft -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 20:44:32 -0700

I'm assuming that your task is to document the internals of the
application and not to create user documentation. I'm not aware of any
utility programs to extract information from COBOL source code.

Using a program like GREP may be helpfull in locating all the I/O
routines and the SELECT statements. This would give you a good idea of
which files are being used or updated.

As for the number of lines of code in the program, it depends on the
skills of the programmer. Also, you need to know if the number you were
given is the total number of lines of code when compiled, or the number
in the PROCEDURE DIVISION.

Good luck
Ken Gatlin
G2 Software