Re: Icons (and Caution & Warning statements)

Subject: Re: Icons (and Caution & Warning statements)
From: Matthew Stern <MAStern -at- PLATSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:18:38 -0700

> Our department is coming up with some icons for "warning," "caution," and
"note"
> for use in our installation and programming guides for detection equipment
and
> their related controls.

Be careful which icons you use. Where I used to work, we used an
exploding computer as the warning icon. One of competitors used this
icon against us in one of their marketing videos. They showed a page
from one of our manuals, did a close up of the icon, and claimed that
the icon shows how "unreliable" our products are. Needless to say, we
designed another icon.

Matthew Stern
Sr. Technical Writer
Platinum Software Corporation