Re: Bad Employers/Clients List???

Subject: Re: Bad Employers/Clients List???
From: Lynn Gold <figmo -at- RAHUL -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 13:43:11 -0700

Susan Brown wrote:

> Third question was "Would there be contribution guidelines?'. This
>can also make a big difference. For example, 'For the 8 months I was working
>with Firm X, they were consistently 6 - 8 weeks behind in paying my
>invoices.' not 'Firm X are just a bunch of deabeats!!', or 'I hear Firm X
>never pays their bills on time.' Guidelines for submissions could include
>and standardized checklist people submitting could rate things (like working
>environment, cooperation, timeliness in paying) on a scale of 1 to 10.,
>experiences must be your own and not a friend's, etc. etc. I'm sure you get
>the picture.

This kind of information would be FAR more useful than telling folks
"such-and-such-a-company is a good place to work" or "Frobnitz Inc. is an
awful place to work." People can read anecdotes and decide whether a place
is right for them.

I've often toyed with the idea of compiling a book containing anecdotal
stories about some of the companies where friends and e-mail pen pals and I
have worked. Companies change over the years; the same company that was a
sweat shop five years ago may have a 40-hour work week now. Another factor
to consider is some companies can simultaneously be heaven and hell; the
difference relates more to where you're situated in the company. In some
companies this changes every six months. :-)

Years ago I had a job interview that wound up mostly consisting of my
potential boss and I swapping stories of how different companies in Silicon
Valley fire and lay off people.

I think a book with neatly categorized "war stories" might be a cool thing
to compile.

--Lynn