Re: Need passport for Toronto? [Ref:C099997]

Subject: Re: Need passport for Toronto? [Ref:C099997]
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 17:05:13 -0600

> <<Tom -dot- Tomasovic -at- na -dot- nwmarkets -dot- com>>
> Beth et al:
>
> A couple of our people are going to Toronto (I am
> not; however, I am going to Winnipeg in June).
> Our travel department called for us and determined
> that a passport or a birth certificate (along with
> some photo ID) could be necessary. There doesn't
> seem to be any guarantee that this level of
> identification would be required, but . . .
>
> -----------------
> I'd get a new travel agent. This is basic knowledge.
> Canada does not require a passport for US citizens.
>
> Bob Morrisette

Bob, read Tom's note more carefully. He never said "required"
except in the last sentence, which is negative. His agent reported
that proof of US citizenship "could be necessary."

This is also what the US government states, so it is the
"official word." As stories to techwr-l have proven, just
because this is the official word does not mean that anybody
will ask for your papers; however, it seems wise to take
your birth certificate (or passport, if you have one) with you when
travelling beyond the border of your country of residence.

--LaVonna

LaVonna F. Funkhouser lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com
COREComm Webmaster webmaster -at- corecomm -dot- com

Be sure to see the COREComm booth at the 44th
STC Annual Conference in Toronto!

http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/