Parent and Child - Other words

Subject: Parent and Child - Other words
From: barryk -at- MDHOST -dot- CSE -dot- TEK -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 16:10:55 -0700

To answer the Parent and Child debate, Parent and Child are the ONLY
acceptable words.

Sure you can get "cute" and say "guardian" or "begot/beget" but we as
Technical Writers just end up looking foolish.

The industry uses Parent and Child. Engineering schools use Parent and
Child.

And, even in this silly PC world, it is totaly correct to say "kill all of
the child processes" and, "always kill the child process before the
parents".

Many a text book will contain phrases like "Always kill the children
before the parents" meaning remove the child directory before removing the
parent directory. Good idea! :-)

The terms "Remove and Kill" do not mean the same thing, as any UNIX user
will tell you. Even in this PC world you still have to type" kill" to stop
a UNIX job. :-( boo hoo

Debate on o' tech whirlers, as I will be re-cloaking and hiding behind
fireproof walls as the PC Police flame on...

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Tektronix

Speaking for myself only,