Re: Half Day Interview

Subject: Re: Half Day Interview
From: Kippi Fagerlund <kippi -at- ECO -dot- TWG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 16:38:14 -0400

At 03:14 PM 5/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>A potential employer of mine said they would like me to spend "at least
>a half a day" with them for an interview.
>
>What in the world would we do over a half day?! Should I prepare for it
>any any differently than I would other interviews?
>
>Thanks,
>Michael

I've had several interviews (and conducted many) that lasted all day.
This included talking to HR, the hiring manager, often the head of
engineering or a development group, a couple of other senior engineers,
and all of the pubs staff I'd be working with. It also typically included
lunch, which is a great opportunity to get a sense of someone in a less
formal setting --- do they have basic social skills, are they a good
personality fit, etc.

These can be long and tiring though, and it's important to try to feel "fresh"
and come across well with both the earlier and the later interviewers. Be
well rested, and prepared to talk to people with different styles and areas
of focus.

Kippi
--

Kippi Fagerlund