Re: 'istory of the US and UK

Subject: Re: 'istory of the US and UK
From: Sabahat I Ashraf <zaib -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 08:50:59 -0400

On Fri, 9 May 1997 11:08:07 +0100 Mike Toogood <miket -at- KTGROUP -dot- CO -dot- UK>
writes:

>>In Liverpool it might be 'istory, but in the U.S. it's History and
>>clearly not a vowel sound.
>
>>Buck Buchanan
>
>Hi Buck,
>In Liverpool, England, it is certainly history.
>
>In parodies of 19th Century working class Londoners, they are often
>portrayed as dropping the 'h' sound. In reality, speech is more subtle
>than that - even if the 'h' was dropped it would still be said as "a
>'istory"

Actually, I heard a BBC person say "an (h)istory" just yesterday. [I am
in New Jersey, USA]. I think it is one of the few things left in the
English language where some variation still remains. And I would daresay
always has been.

>BTW, nobody here really speaks like the 'English' bank robber in the
>Simpsons either.

Well, England still has some variation in dialect and accent left,
wouldn't you say?

>Does everybody in the US say "Have a nice day" at every opportunity -
>like they do on TV?

As a matter of fact, they do.

As the other person said:

Have a nice day.