Re: Who are we?

Subject: Re: Who are we?
From: sallyyeo <sallyyeo -at- EXECPC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 21:27:34 -0500

This is an interesting thread, in that it widens our understanding of
our profession, and looks a little at its history.

Technical writing really began with documenting hardware--sewing
machines, then big stuff like tractors, airplanes, back hoes, etc. Many
of these writers had an engineering background and were male. When I
first began going to STC meetings, in the late 80's, that was the
profile of an STC technical writer, and there are still areas (such as
in middle and northern Wisconsin) where that is still true.

Since then STC has become focused on and dominated by the software
industry--but we should not forget our roots. In TECHWR-Ls in particular
we see the software industry represented, because it is our media.

In my previous company we had about 50 TW consultants--about even
between men and women. In my new company we have 10 writers, and only 3,
right now, are men. Only one of these writers has an engineering
background. Most have liberal arts degrees, especially in English.

Sally Yeo
sallyyeo -at- execpc -dot- com