Re: The Half-Day Interview

Subject: Re: The Half-Day Interview
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:35:47 -0500

Colleagues,

I have followed the brief course of this thread with both amusement and
disbelief. I have not interiewed for a full-time permanent position with a
company in over 20 years, but I doubt I would want to consider working for
any company that managed to dispose of me in an hour or two.

What can you accomplish in a couple of hours?

1. Talk to HR (the PR pitch)
2. Take the cold-mirror test (if it fogs you qualify for employment)
3. Answer a brief battery of questions from a potential supervisor

Now, let me see. That leaves a couple of things to fill up those *extra*
hours. You might

4. Ask a whole battery of questions about the company, its benefits, its
business plan, its mission statements, its goals.

5. Ask a few questions about how tech pubs meshes with the rest of the
company

6. Have lunch with some of the people you will be working with to determine
your compatability with the group

7. Take that dread personality profile test

8. Get a look at the facilities and working conditions

9. Get a chance to talk with some of the employees who might not be
directly involved with your project/product as a means of determining
employee satisfaction, etc. You might get a hint from these people about
turnover rates, raises, software/hardware decisions, etc.

10. If you're considering a long-distance move, you might be able to talk a
bit about the city/area you are considering.

Seems as though there is plenty of material there to *kill* at least a
little more than a couple of hours.

Again, if the company cares so little for me that they are willing to spend
only an hour or two on me, Idoubt I would want to work for them.

Of course, if you're talking to them about an 80-hour telecommute task, an
hour would probably be about right.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com