doc review process--question

Subject: doc review process--question
From: Nancy Bean <beannj01 -at- HOLMES -dot- IPFW -dot- INDIANA -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:01:57 -0500

First, a little background...

I am the lone tech writer at a small, 3-year-old company. The company
employs customer service reps to handle several different types of calls
for a major retail chain.

This company has never had a technical writer before, and it took a lot of
convincing to get them to promote me from c-s rep to writer (a little over
2 years). (It helped tremendously that I had put together a portfolio
using suggestions from you all!) During that time, I stayed on while
trying to finish my degree because the part-time hours were flexible and
the benefits (yes, benefits!) are great!

I decided to start by rewriting the manual for my old department, and
will have the first draft ready for review by the end of May.

The supervisors and manager of this department told me they'd like a copy
of the draft when it is ready for review. They plan to have a meeting to
go over the material as a group and said they will "decide what goes and
what stays." Hmmmm. So, when I replied that I'd like to attend the
meeting, the manager for this department made it clear to me that I am not
invited.

I'm pretty sure that MY boss can override this manager's decision. So,
should I push to go to this meeting? How do you suggest I handle this
situation?

--
Nancy Bean beannj01 -at- holmes -dot- ipfw -dot- indiana -dot- edu

**** "By making something absolutely clear,
you will confuse someone." -- Murphy's Laws on Life ****