Use of "OK"

Subject: Use of "OK"
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- ASICENTRAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 14:12:00 -0500

Since someone mentioned the OK button...

I like to "suggest" some consistency to our development department
regarding text on the screens they design for our software. One of the
biggest inconsistancies is the OK button. Some butttons are labelled
"OK" which I believe is the correct use. Other buttons are labelled
"Ok" and others "Okay". The big problem is inconsistency within one
application.

Someone told me a long time ago that OK stood for Old Kinderhook which
was the nickname of one of our former presidents who used to sign off
documents with an OK. (Blech, what a messy sentence!)

Can any of you tell me why "OK" is correct? Or why any of the others
is correct, if the case may be?

Thanks,

Kathleen P
kpadova -at- millstar -dot- com