Re: Tech writers and ISO9000 (was Proofing docs)

Subject: Re: Tech writers and ISO9000 (was Proofing docs)
From: Estella Clifford <cliff -at- FP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 09:00:54 EST

>Hi Estella,
>
>Your use of 'person(s) responsible for QA/QC' prompts my question. To
>what extent are tech-writers getting involved in ISO9000 issues? Would
>someone point me to the source of ISO/DIS 10013 - Guidelines for
>Producing Quality Manuals. Is this document available for download?
>Please forgive me if this is off-topic.
>
>TIA,
>

>Shorter Rankin
>Sacramento, CA
>srank -at- pacbell -dot- net
>
>------------------------reply sep----------------------------------

Hi Shorter,

I have had some experience with ISO9000 issues.

FWIW, I was involved in documenting a new product and attending weekly
developers' meetings to become familiar with the product (a very good
experience, and a useful practice, by the way!). I was taking notes for
myself. A record of the proceedings of these meetings was required to
document them. The person taking these notes for ISO9000 purposes and I
compared the notes we were taking, and we were essentially recording the
same information. So I began publishing my notes and they are part of
the required audit trail. Seemed like a logical way to save time and
effort.

Record keeping and complying with established procedures, are some
other ways tech writers get involved in ISO9000 issues.
For example, keeping a log of materials sent out for review,
following an established (and documented) policy on *who* is to be
included in the review procedure (i.e., Quality engineer, test engineer,
product manager, appropriate manufacturing person, and so on).

Familiarity with the quality policy for one's company is also important.

I'm sure this is not exhaustive, but it's what I can think of off the
top of my head.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Estella