Re: Importing Into Frame

Subject: Re: Importing Into Frame
From: Dave Meek <meekd -at- WSERVER -dot- DO -dot- LOSRIOS -dot- CC -dot- CA -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 09:15:41 -0700

>Matt wrote:
>>
>> In Frame, always import images by reference!! Always!!!
>>
>> -Document file size is reduced.
>> -Image can be used by multiple documents.
>> -When an image/diagram is changed, it is dynamically updated within all
>> documents that use it.
>
>I have to disagree with this blanket "always" statement. If you plan to
>ship the documents electronically (perhaps on CD or as online help
>bundled with a software application), it will be much easier to ensure
>that all images are included if they are copied into the documents.
>
>Steve
>--
>Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552

Good point. Another reason to avoid "always," for contract workers such as
me, is that your client may not want graphics imported by reference. Most
of my clients prefer the simplicity of a single file, and the document will
never change once I'm done with it (thus, no need for updates to the
graphics). As a result, while I'm working on the document, I import
graphics by reference. When the document becomes final, I paste the
graphics in and hand over the file.

It all depends on the big picture--what you're doing and who you're doing it
for.