Re: Word setup for manual

Subject: Re: Word setup for manual
From: Floramaria Deter <fmc -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 14:03:38 -0700

At 08:14 AM 5/18/97 -0500, Lori Smith wrote:
>E,T, Hull wrote:
>> Some of you talk about a "master document". What does it include and is it
>> handy for this kind of manual?
>
>Even Microsoft advises avoiding master docs in Word. If you have a
>decent machine, I'd advise putting it all in one doc. We do it all the
>time, even for 200-500 pagers.

Writing long documents in MS Word is almost a lose-lose situation. I would
have what one considers a decent computer (Pentium 166 with 32 megs of
memory, running Windows 95) and whenever my document is larger than 50
pages, MS Word's response time, even for scrolling, is incredibly slow. On
the other hand, setting up a long document as a master document with
sub-documents is also risky. Many times I have ended up with a corrupted
master document.

My best advice is to take the solution which keeps the file size below 32
megs. The MS Word manual states that files over this size become very
unstable. I hope this helps!

Flora :)