Startup tips (was: Is temping a...)

Subject: Startup tips (was: Is temping a...)
From: Kathryn Fuhlbrigge <KFuhlbrig -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:41:19 -0400

mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com wrote:
>You mean a job shop or contract agency, right? I would think you'd
>want to go to an agency that specializes in technical stuff or writing
>or both.

Thanks for the advice.

But, I have another question: I was actually talking about temporary
employment agencies...how would I find a list of job shops or contract
agencies? If it helps, I'm in Michigan, Detroit area.

Newbie file:
>If you still want it, even after hearing these onerous conditions :-D,
>write back and ask for c:\ark\alice.

You already sent it to me. :P

But, being the kind and generous soul that I am, I'll give you some feedback.

Overall, I found the file tremendously helpful, especially the bit about
rewriting and reformatting badly done manuals. I will DEFINITELY be using
that idea. The interviewing tips were not particularly useful to me, as I've
done many, many interviews, but the tips should help a new grad.

Suggestions:
I found going through my old college textbooks was very helpful in allowing
me to see what types of writing and organization work best. In fact, I plan
to "redo" a section for my portfolio.
Second, I don't think you can *ever* look too professional, either personally
or in your work. I know I write effectively and persuasively, but I also
think my ability to use typography, basic design, and color adds the final
element that makes the publication work.

On that note, another question...
We keep talking about portfolios. How, physically, do you present your work
at an interview? If there is a "standard" way of doing it, I'd like to know
BEFORE my interview. ;)

Thanks once again.

Kathryn