HTML Help

Subject: HTML Help
From: "Tamminga, Ernie" <et -at- DSC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:20:23 -0700

We're in the midst of doing our first major project using HTML-based
Help.

One clear observation to offer at this point:
One compelling reason for going to HTML-based Help as opposed to
"standard" Winhelp is to be able to support remote interaction.
For example, you really have no choice, if your scenario is this: the
administrator of your product accesses your administration interface via
the Web, from a remote workstation. Then your online help pretty much
HAS TO be HTML-based... it can't be resident on the user's PC (a la
standard Winhelp), because your product isn't running on that PC. What's
running on that PC is a browser, which the administrator is using to get
at your product.
In fact, the administrator might access you from one PC at one time,
and from another PC the next time.

--------
Ernie Tamminga
Director, InfoEngineering