Re: Agencies/markup/etc.

Subject: Re: Agencies/markup/etc.
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 15:54:04 -0400

In a message dated 97-05-22 13:31:51 EDT, Robert -dot- Morrisette -at- EBAY -dot- SUN -dot- COM (Bob
Morrisette) writes:

<< What does dis'sing mean? >>
While it might be a bit fastidious to fuss over spelling for what's
originally a slang term, I believe the proper spelling is "dissing".

<<Are we using ebonics in the tech writers list? >>
Take all the African-American expressions out of mainstream American speech
and you'd have a pretty anemic beast.

While I reject much of what that school board said in trying to sell an
academic-sounding Greco-Latin label for the rich and ever-changing language
of the ghetto, whatever you call that stream of language, its contribution is
real and on-going. And 'diss' has been part of mainstream speech for a
while.

Jim C.
Los Angeles