Re: Temping: An alternative to agencies?

Subject: Re: Temping: An alternative to agencies?
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 12:36:44 -0500

geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA wrote:

> Why not list yourself with local "temporary office help"
> agencies such as Kelly? I suspect that lots of small
> businesses don't know the first thing about techwhirling
> agencies, and immediately think "secretarial" when they
> think about writing. (I've even met people who didn't know
> that some yellow pages have separate writing and editing
> sections.) If you leave your resume with the temp. agency,
> you might get the occasional bite-size job to tide you over
> between major contracts. Hope this helps someone!

I don't mean this as a flame, but I don't see how this could help a
technical writer's career. Is there a reason a writer should temp as a
secretary between contracts, rather than, say, as a construction worker?
A nurse? A pilot?

I don't want to put down secretaries. There's nothing wrong with being a
secretary. But I am not a secretary. Every tech writer should have a
t-shirt that says that. I'm serious. Fighting the "tech writer is
glorified typist" battle is difficult enough without having tech writers
reinforce the idea by advertising themselves as secretaries.

Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019