Re: Advice on digital cameras

Subject: Re: Advice on digital cameras
From: "McNamara, Tom" <techwriter -at- ARGUS -dot- ICEONLINE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 13:02:26 -0500

I recently purchased a Sony DKC-ID1 digital camera for my company and have been
surprised by its flexibility. I work for a electronics manufacturer and we use
the camera for including high quality photos in user manuals, internal
engineering documentation, training docs, the web site and for other internal
communications. The applications are endless and picture quality is very high.
In fact, I'm finding that we use the scanner a lot less now that we have a good
digital camera. This is fine by me, because scanning can be a complex exercise.
I also hope to avoid having to learn a complex 3-D rendering program for
creating isometric drawings of products. The digital camera allows me to take
the picture I want from the exact angle I want, without having to create a
drawing. Some advice while considering the DC purchase:

- you'll need a up-to-date graphics program like Adobe Photoshop or Corel
Photopaint to manipulate the images. The proprietary graphics programs included
with most cameras have limited capabilities.
- look for a camera with PCMCIA memory capabilities. SCSI is fine, but PC cards
are much faster and easier to use. Just plug n' play.
- go for a camera which has an optical view finder with LCD playback
capabilities. After researching just about every mid-range camera on the market,
I settled on the Sony because it has a great zoom function and is easy to use.
- ask to demo the camera on the job before deciding on purchase. I can't
emphasize this enough. If your local distrbutor/retailer balks at this, then
call the manufacturer and see what they can do.

regards,

Tom McNamara
tmcnamara -at- argus -dot- ca
Corporate/Technical Communications
Argus Technologies (www.argus.ca)

I've checked out a few of the large
photographic manufacturers' websites.
They're great for specs and pretty piccies
of their digital offerings, but I'd like to
hear of your experiences-both good and bad-
with digital photography. Are you a DIYer? Or
do you have a professional photographer deliver
the finished product in electronic format? Have
you encountered any hidden snags with digital
photography? Or is it a smooth trip?

And do I intend becoming a digital
photographer? Well heck, I'm researcher,
writer, editor, page layout and printing
expert all in one, so I guess adding
another skill to the skills base won't hurt!

..cheers!