Re: desparately seeking java-based help

Subject: Re: desparately seeking java-based help
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 13:54:19 -0700

Hi all;

I've been on 2 mad dash deadlines, so I hope this note isn't too
out of date. I just thought something had to be said here.

Ruth Gordon writes...

>I find it amazing that java is fast becoming the programming environment
>of choice, primarily because it is platform and browser independenty, yet we
>technical communicators have no similar platform/browser independent
>development environment for online help.

I disagree. We've got two platform independent environments: Java and HTML.
That is, any environment which can build a Java program can build an on-line
HTML help document - if you're willing to program.

Major Premise: Java can output ASCII files.
Minor Premise: HTML is ASCII.
==> Java can output HTML.

Major: Java can output HTML.
Minor: HTML creates Web pages.
==> Java can create Web pages.

Major: Java can create Web pages.
Minor: Web pages are documents.
==> Java can create documents.

"Document" (Webster's 10th Edition Collegiate)
2a a writing conveying information
2b a material substance (as a coin or stone) having on it a representation
of thoughts by means of some conventional mark or symbol.

Shortening the logic chain some, one way to look at a Web page is to see
it as a container. A Web page doesn't do anything - it's the interface
which 'holds' a 'representation of thoughts'. The same Web page can hold:

o a Java program,
o the online HTML information on how to use the Java program, or
o both.

An Web engineer can write a Java module and post their (disorganized) notes
describing how to use the product far faster than the TW can even start the
outline. Sooner or later, managers will figure this out and start wondering
if they need Technical Writers.

The alternative appears to be to increase our technical skills. It does
not look like Netscape or Microsoft are going to provide us solutions. We
need to provide our own.

Call me Cassandra, if you will. Or call me....

David (The Man) Blyth
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM - Standard disclaimers apply. They don't represent me, I don't
represent them.

Blodo Poa Maximus