Re: desparately seeking java-based help

Subject: Re: desparately seeking java-based help
From: Ruth Glaser <ruthg -at- GORETEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:00:10 -0500

David Bliss (joke here -- it's Ruth Glaser not Gordon) wrote:

"I disagree. We've got two platform independent environments:
Java and HTML. That is, any environment which can build a
Java program can build an on-line HTML help document - if
you're willing to program."

David, you made my point for me. I'm not willing to program
to that degree. I was lamenting the fact that there
are no *TOOLS* currently available for technical writers to
develop online help in a browser independent, java
development environment.

I need to write documentation. I find it frustrating that to
display that documentation in a manner easy for users
to get to, I currently have to jump through large flaming
hoops (and learn how to program in java!)

I'm all for honing technical skills, including some
fundamentals of programming and java scripting.
However, your post suggests that we technical
communicators need to become programmers.
I, personally, am not willing to go there. My value
is in knowledge transfer, not in building tools and
programming. It's simply not efficient for me to do
that.

As the line between writing and programming further
blurs, I agree that technical communicators are
challenged to redefine our niche. That niche should
not be "programmer wannabees."

Let the flames begin . . . ;-)

Ruth *GLASER*
rglaser -at- nxtrend -dot- com