Is it just me? S/W doc question

Subject: Is it just me? S/W doc question
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:56:21 EST

Those of you who don't document software might want to delete
this message.

For those of you who do --

When you're documenting an application, and it changes, is there
a procedure in place to notify all concerned? Or do you just
find out after you've written the chapter, and then you have to
rewrite it?

I know I should be more proactive and involved with the
developers, but it's hard both to find the time and to build
relationships that their managers frown on. It is one of my
ongoing, unwritten tasks to help these managers understand the
importance of good doc -- that is, they don't get it, so they
deliberately keep tech writers out of the loop so that we won't
take too much time with the developers.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if others are facing this
difficulty. I suspect they are. I hope I'm not the only one!

This is the problem with having worked on only one project and
for only one company -- I've officially been a tech writer for
four years, but it's almost like the same year of experience
repeated four times. I'm glad y'all are out there to share your
experiences.

|| * \ . . / * || * Melissa Hunter-Kilmer (mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com) *
\\____\X/____// * Bureau of National Affairs (NOT the government!) *
/ * /O\ * \ * Washington, DC *

BNA and I have a deal -- I don't speak for the company, and it doesn't
speak for me.