Re: Is it just me? S/W doc question

Subject: Re: Is it just me? S/W doc question
From: Peggy Schillinger <peggys -at- STLNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 13:27:43 -0500

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer wrote:

> When you're documenting an application, and it changes, is there
> a procedure in place to notify all concerned? Or do you just
> find out after you've written the chapter, and then you have to
> rewrite it?

Your company's QA department probably maintains a list of bug fixes and
product enhancements; ask to have access to this list or to the paper
copies, if such exist. If you are working on an application that is
already commercial (I have assumed this because of your 4-year stint),
the version changes are controlled somewhere in your company's technical
development group.

> I know I should be more proactive and involved with the
> developers, but it's hard both to find the time and to build
> relationships that their managers frown on. [snipped]
> ..... they don't get it, so they
> deliberately keep tech writers out of the loop so that we won't
> take too much time with the developers.

You need help with this, Melissa. Where is your boss while this turf
war is going on? This development manager has the power to make you look
bad by depriving you of information. I'll bet that if you were part of
the product development team, you wouldn't have any trouble getting
access to the programmers.

> I've officially been a tech writer for
> four years, but it's almost like the same year of experience
> repeated four times.

You are smart to have figured this out already. Maybe it's time for you
to move on; if you stay six more years, you will have had one year of
experience repeated 10 times, and your career will be seriously off
track. This job sounds like it doesn't provide growth for you any more.

Best regards,

Peggy Schillinger