Re: Need passport for Toronto?

Subject: Re: Need passport for Toronto?
From: Peg Ferraro <peg -at- CTHULHU -dot- CONTROL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 14:44:04 -0400

Hi all,

> I used to live in Niagara Falls (NY) and we would cross the border without a
> passport all the time. I think as long as you have a valid drivers license, you
> should be all set. You might want to bring your birth certificate just in case,
> but I don't think you'll need it.

A few years ago I went to British Columbia for vacation. The airline
required that you have a copy of one of the following: your birth
certificate or a voters registration card.

So, if you're flying, find out what the airline requires also. Once I got
to Canada, the Canadian immigration authorities didn't ask for any ID at
all. They just asked what the purpose of the trip was.

Coming back, the customs guy in the US was a pain in the ***. He went
through everything I had looking for contraband. I haven't been able to
figure this one out. Now that I'm over 40 the customs people hassle me.

When I was an flaky hippie college student in the late 60's and early 70's,
I never had problems.

Go figure.

Peg, peg -at- control -dot- com