newbie needs advice

Subject: newbie needs advice
From: Rebecca R Chamberlain <rebrc -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 18:07:39 -0600

Hi. My name is Rebecca Chamberlain and I'm an aspiring tech writer. I
need some advice on how to get started as a full-fledged TW.

I have a degree in journalism and a job at an insurance company where I'm
writing end user documentation and online help. (I'm the only one). But I
have had no training in tech writing. I've joined STC and am eating up
every scrap I get there.

The way I see it, there are a few different directions I could take. (But
I probably haven't thought of everything).
program 2 hours away.
2. Stay where I am, gather some experience and a large variety of
material of questionable quality for a portfolio. I'm the closest thing
to a tech writer at my company, so I could probably churn out some pretty
awful stuff and they'd love me just to have anything.
3. Find a position as a junior tech writer at a company that has an
experienced/established documentation department where I could "learn the
ropes."

What should I do?
Thanks in advance!

Rebecca Chamberlain