Re: newbie needs advice

Subject: Re: newbie needs advice
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 23:13:47 +0600

On 2 Jun 97, Rebecca R Chamberlain wrote:

> I have a degree in journalism and a job at an insurance company
> where I'm writing end user documentation and online help. (I'm the
> only one). But I have had no training in tech writing. I've joined
> STC and am eating up every scrap I get there.
>
> The way I see it, there are a few different directions I could take.

Rebecca,

You don't say where you live, but there are a few more possibilities.

1) Do you have any junior colleges/community colleges that offer an
associates degree or a certificate program in technical writing? In
the Dallas area we have several good ones.

2) Have you looked into correspondence courses or online courses?
I've heard that the University of Texas offers one (although it may
through Continuing Education rather than a credit-carrying course).

You don't mention whether you have other responsibilities, such as
small children. Those kinds of responsibilities sometimes make
working all day, going to school at night a tough road. Not
insurmountable, though.

At any rate, I'd suggest staying where you are for now. You are
working as a technical writer and gaining some experience. STC has
good conferences, workshops, speakers, and just old-fashioned
networking that can help you. The quarterly journal is worth the
price of membership. There are some good books you can read, also,
that help with technical writing issues. I've seen few companies that
really take time to train tech writers. They just don't have the time
or resources for it.

Do consider formal education of some sort, though. I'm opening
myself up to real flames here....but my personal experience has been
that writers with even a few good tech writing courses have a more
professional approach to their writing. (Don't get excited folks,
this is not an indictment of all untrained writers....I'm not naming
names...it's just my personal and limited observation.)

Good luck with whatever road you take,

Jane Bergen
janeber -at- cyberramp -dot- net