Re: where to buy books

Subject: Re: where to buy books
From: Bill Bledsoe <Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:55:17 -0500

Robin M. Allen wrote:

> Mike Collier - SSG wrote:
> >
> > I cringe when I see repeated references on this list to a well known
> > internet-based shipper of books.

<MIKE SAID SOME STUFF ABOUT A BIG BOOKSTORE ON THE NET HERE>

> Mike:
>
> I patronize my local bookstore for novels, cookbooks, etc., but I use
> that "other Seattle company" for technical and/or obscure books that
> my local bookstore doesn't carry. And the discount is often more than
> 20%. I was able to get Tufte's books at a 40% discount! Something that
> my local bookseller gives only on best sellers.
>
> I buy local when I can, but sometimes my pocketbook and time
> constraints require that I try to find the best deal.
>
> :Robin Allen

Robin, All:

Not to campaign... but there are alternatives to the "big guy" in
Seattle for books... even on the net... even with prodigidous discounts!

Here in good ol' St. Louis... we're the proud home of the Largest
Independent Bookstore in the US... You can check them out at:

http://www.libraryltd.com

They have cleaned up on the "big guys" that have come to town to try and
challenge them... because even though they have 170,000+ books in stock,
they still feel like a corner bookstore. And they act like it too...
check out their calendar of events... they get all of the big name and
little name book signings here... and they INVENTED the Cafe' in a
Bookstore many years ago... before it was "cool"

Yep... Library LTD is one of the few examples where a St. Louisan can
proudly say "We had it first" and gig those "coastal types" a bit ;-)

cheers,
Bill Bledsoe
Senior Technical Writer - CMS
Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- cms-stl -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

"I'm out on a limb where the fun begins"
Adrian Belew/The Bears